The Watlow MI band heater is a high-performance heater. The band heater's performance and name are derived from Watlow's exclusive mineral insulation—a material with much higher thermal conductivity than mica and hard ceramic insulators used in conventional heaters. A thin layer of the "high" thermally conductive MI material is used to electrically insulate the element wire from the inside diameter of the heater sheath. A thicker, "low" thermally conductive layer backs up the element wire directing the heat inward toward the part being heated. The result is more efficient heat transfer, which lowers element wire temperatures and increases band heater life.
- High thermal conductivity of MI and low mass construction provides rapid response to temperature control and avoids thermal lag
- Operating temperatures up to 1400°F (760°C) allows safe melting of resins such as PEEK, Teflon, Ultem and Zytel
- Higher watt densities contribute to faster heat-up and throughput for increased productivity
- Stainless steel cover and side fold design resists contamination from overflow of plastic or other free-flowing materials
- Attached clamp bars eliminates cumbersome clamping straps, making installation easier